Statement of Purpose
The Office of University Development is both a fund-raising and a services unit, providing support and assistance to constituent units across campus on a collaborative centralized-decentralized model.
Clear and consistent policies about gifts, contributions, and solicitations encourage stronger relationships among representatives of the University, donors, and advisors. The Chancellor has therefore adopted these policies to describe and guide the outright and planned giving programs of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (“University”).
Additional gift guidelines that complement these policies are found in the “Guidelines on Gifts Affecting the Curriculum” (click to download document).
The Vice Chancellor for University Development coordinates the fund raising efforts at the University. The policies found in this document are general policies and apply to all funds raised on behalf of the University. For the purposes of this document, the institutional recipient of any gift for the benefit of the University will be referred to as “the University” unless otherwise specified.
Policies and Procedures by Subject
- Alumni Development Database
- Communication with Alumni and Donors
- Coordination of Cultivation of Prospects, Solicitation and Acceptance of Gifts
- Designating and Restricting Gifts
- Endowment Policies
- Glossary of Terms
- Procedures Relating to Gifts
- Recognition/Stewardship Policies
- Stewardship at Carolina
- Other Administrative Policies, Including:
- Chancellor’s Calendar Request
- Federal Tax Exemption Letter
- Legal Counsel
- Meetings for Development Officers
- NC Educational Exemption Letter
- Signature Authority
- Tax Advice